Thursday, September 4, 2008

Brain Cells and Alzheimer's Advocacy

It's been an extremely busy couple of days trying to catch up and finish a new feature on one of our apps at work, so I haven't posted substantially. But I did want to pass on a couple of Alzheimer's-related links.

First, for anyone in the Houston area that is interested, Tallowood Baptist Church is offering a ... seminar? ... on memory loss and dealing with Alzheimer's disease:
The Mystery of Memory Loss
September 25, 2008
9:30 am - 2:30 pm
Cost: $5 (includes lunch)
Click here for more information or to register for the event.
I don't know anything more than what is on their web site at this time. If I can find out more details, I'll pass them along.

Also, the New York Times had a fascinating article today about an experiment that "is likely to open a new avenue in the investigation of Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia."
Scientists have for the first time recorded individual brain cells in the act of summoning a spontaneous memory, revealing not only where a remembered experience is registered but also, in part, how the brain is able to recreate it .
And finally, Houston media guy and blogger Mike McGuff has an excellent post up about his experiences caring for a parent with early onset Alzheimer's, and an idea he has for an online Alzheimer's advocacy resource. I look forward to hearing more from Mike on the subject and, hopefully, seeing the idea take off as a real service.

1 comment:

M.B.G . . . said...

I spent nearly four years working in an Alzheimer’s/Long Term Care facility in Utah and I know the difficulties and pains associated with this disease. I personally got to know some great people afflicted with Alzheimer’s and I also became close with some of their families. I’ve seen a lot of resources that help. One in particular seems to be a great benefit: http://www.thecaringspace.com
Please pass this link along to anyone you feel could benefit from it.