Thursday, April 7, 2011

Scarlet Epaulettes

We saw our first Red-winged Blackbird of the year yesterday, perched in the oak tree in the middle of our front yard. Not exactly where you would expect to see RWBLs, but I'll take a new addition to my miniscule yard list any chance I get.

Unfortunately, yesterday's visitor didn't offer any good photographic opportunities, but it reminded of these shots that I got a few months ago.

Red-winged Blackbird

The Highest Perch
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)


As always, you can click any image to see a larger version. Enjoy!

3 comments:

KaHolly said...

YAY! Red-winged Blackbirds are definitely the harbingers of spring in my neck of the woods!! Beautiful shots! ~karen

Jessica Pellien said...

The number of red-winged blackbirds in my area (Yardley, PA) have been increasing exponentially day by day this week. A quick walk along the canal this morning was almost drowned out with their calls.

Jim Hughes said...

I've seen a few here during the past couple of weeks, and even got a shot of one near the back porch this afternoon.