Saturday, April 9, 2011

Pretty in Pink

Pretty in Pink
Roseate Spoonbill (Platalea ajaja)

Spring fever is in the air all along the Texas Gulf Coast! And from what I hear, the rookery at High Island's Smith Oaks sanctuary is all aglow with the greens and pinks of happy egret pairs and spoonbill couples. (Can you say "twitterpated"?)

Unfortunately, I still have a week or two before I get to make that trek to High Island, so I'm biding my time by looking back at the shots from last year. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

Roseate Spoonbill - 4/16/2010

Roseate Spoonbills nesting - 4/16/2010

Showing off

Roseate Spoonbills

Yellow tails

Looking for twigs


Hopefully I'll get some better ones later this month!

As always, you can click on any of the images above to see a larger version. Also, check out Bird Photography Weekly #128 for more great bird photos from around the world.

Bird Photography Weekly

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful photos Kyle. You had the right angle and lighting to really show that pretty pink plumage.

NatureFootstep said...

nice! This is one of the birds I saw in Costa Rica. Trouble is I only saw they flying in the distance. When I tried to get a shot it was only a small pink blur. :(
Thanks for showing yours. :)

Dawn Fine said...

Beautiful shots Kyle!

mick said...

Beautiful pink color on those birds. The Royal Spoonbill here in Australia doesn't change into those beautiful colors - unfortunately.

Kelly said...

Wow, wow, wow!!! I spent a week in Ding Darling in later March, but I didn't get to see them. The park workers said they only saw one or two while I was there. They had already headed up to Sarasota to their rookery. Your photos are fantastic. I'm totally jealous!

Kai Rui said...

lovely photo...visiting from bird photography...followed you, hope you'll follow me back..

take a peek on my entry
http://lovingoutliving.blogspot.com/2011/04/these-were-parrots-found-at-water.html

Nicole said...

I don't know the right word to describe these guys,... fascinating, gorgeous, awesome?
Just wow does it, maybe ;)!