Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Dreaming of Spring

Today's downpour and the promise of more rain and cold over the next week have me dreaming of warmer, sunnier days. And nothing warms the soul like the radiant colors of tanagers during spring migration.

Scarlet Tanager - 4/30/2010
Scarlet Tanager (Piranga olivacea)

These two fellows were both life birds for me, seen last spring at Boy Scout Woods in High Island, Texas, just up the coast a couple of hours from Houston.

Summer Tanager - 4/30/2010
Summer Tanager (Piranga rubra)



For more great bird photos from around the world, check out this week's installment of World Bird Wednesday.

11 comments:

Gemma Wiseman said...

These birds do have radiant colours! Fascinating photos!

Empty Nester said...

Beautiful photos of such vibrantly colored birds!

Larry said...

Beautiful shots of these gorgeous Tanagers Kyle! You warmed up my day ;-)

holdingmoments said...

What a striking colour!
Such a beauty. He'd be hard to miss.

Kyle said...

Thanks, guys!

DaveABirding said...

Nice shots, hope to see more reminders of the warm months in the cool ones that remain!

Unknown said...

Beautiful birds!!! Boom & Gary of The Vermilon River, Canada.

Springman said...

Boy, If you want to warm up these pictures and a shot of Baileys in your coffee will definately do it, take my word on that! The Scarlet Tanager is a bird I've never seen and your shots are gorgeous. I was smart enough to get into your flickr and saw your American Redstart photos another bird I've never seen. Wow, your photography is amazing. Light, composition, detail, its all there! ;-)WBW

theconstantwalker said...

Stunning colours. Beautiful images of lovely birds.

KaHolly said...

Kyle, I'd give just about anything to have the opportunity to visit High Island during spring migration. It excites me to think of you taking all your boyscouts there! I'm all about getting kids out of doors!! ~karen

Dawn Fine said...

Hey..I remember those birds! Great shots.