Monday, July 13, 2009

Tree Top Surprise

Nearing the top of the tree line as we climbed steadily toward the snowy caps, we stopped off at the observation point at Rainbow Curve. Looking out over the spectacular landscape stretching away before us, it was very easy to miss the hidden treasure perched in the top of a much closer tree top. Just at our eye level, this Clark's Nutcracker sat quietly watching the busy sightseers coming and going.

Clark's Nutcracker - 6/27/2009
Clark's Nutcracker (Nucifraga columbiana)

This turned out to be one of two of Clark's namesakes (the only two resident to North America, as far as I know) that I added to my life list during my weekend in Colorado. I'll post pictures of the Clark's Grebes as soon as I can remember to download them from the other memory card...


For more great bird photos from around the world, check out Bird Photography Weekly #46.

Bird Photography Weekly

10 comments:

WisconsinBirder said...

Very sharp photo Kyle! Congrats on the additions to your life list.

Amy said...

*Two* Clark's lifers in one weekend, that's great! :) Great photo. Looking forward to seeing your Clark's Grebe. They would both be lifers for me, too (although I may have seen the nutcracker as a child).

Arija said...

Great shot at eye level as though it were posing for a portrait rather than looking up and just seeing the belly.

Anonymous said...

Not only do you see a life bird I've yet to find, you get a fabulous photo as well. Very cool!

Kyle said...

Thanks for the comments, y'all!

Yup, that's definitely one benefit to birding on a mountain that I had never considered before: you get a chance to see the tree tops and what's in them without getting a neck ache. This guy was maybe fifty feet away, happily sitting there in his little tree top perch. Very cool!

Bob Kaufman said...

Awww, I'm really envious, Kyle. That is a great shot of one of my "target" birds.

Bhavesh Chhatbar said...

A beautiful photograph indeed. How far was it? What was the focal length used?

TV Tower on Sinhagad - Going Inside Clouds

Kyle said...

Bhavesh- Focal length was 500mm, pushing my lens to its maximum. And I would guess that it was about 50-60 feet away.

Larry Jordan said...

Great capture Kyle, the photo and the bird for your list. The Clark's Nutcracker is one of the birds we see in Lassen Volcanic National Park. What a gorgeous bird in flight with the white wing patches and the all white under-tail coverts.

Dawn Fine said...

Great shot! One of my fav friendly birds! reminds me of gray jay.