Monday, April 6, 2009

Bird Photography Weekly: Belted Kingfisher

I see and/or hear Belted Kingfishers several times a month now near the neighborhood park where I so often go to walk and bird at lunch. Unfortunately, that one is extremely wary of people and I have yet to get more than a blurry streak of a photo as he zooms back and forth patrolling the bayou.

I got much luckier with this kingfisher that I spotted at San Bernard NWR a couple of weeks ago. He was so busy fishing in the waters right next to the road that I was able to observe him for a good long while and to get a few decent shots of him.

Belted Kingfisher - 3/16/2009
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon)


Belted Kingfisher - 3/16/2009
(Click on any image to see the full-size version)

Click here to see the rest of the shots I got of this little 'fisher, including one exultant pose with fish in bill.

And for the record, I did finally finish going through all those San Bernard pictures that I promised to post. I've got them all on Flickr now and will try to post some of the highlights here by Tuesday.


For more great bird photos from around the world, check out Bird Photography Weekly #32.

Bird Photography Weekly

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are great shots, Kyle! Wish I'd get one that close.

Cheers, Klaus
P.S.: Thanks for reminding me of Birdphotography Weekly...if it weren't for your comment I would have forgotten.

mick said...

Fantastic photos - especially the one with the fish in its bill.

Kelly said...

Wow! Fantastic shots...I really enjoy these birds and your photographs are wonderful. I've never been able to get a good shot of a kingfisher...

Kim said...

Awesome photos! I have been trying to get a decent Belted Kingfisher photo for the past two weeks and I can't find them, and when I do they fly away!

Such a striking bird.

Vickie said...

Wonderful collection of photos, Kyle! Don't you just love it when they're busy and don't care that we're snapping away?

April said...

Wonderful close-ups of the Belted Kingfisher - they are fascinating little birds. It's great that you were able to observe him for a while.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

WAAA! I have tried and tried, but I can't get close to a Kingfisher.

Way to go!!

Dawn Fine said...

Great kingfisher photos!

Unknown said...

Stunning shots Kyle, hope to get a shot of a Kingfisher over here one day.

Tom said...

Awesome shots. Kinfishers normally give you a hard time with photography. well done.

Misty DawnS said...

Oh my gosh - your photos are truly spectacular!!!